View Single Post

Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 AM

Liked 1,661 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodog max View Post
PC bullets may be the best thing for handguns since gunpowder was invented but I have some questions no one has ever answered about these things. The big one is does it deposit in the bore even microscopically? If it does is it removed with cleaning or is it there and continues to build up. I just keep remembering the moly bullet claims of a few years back that ruined some rifle barrels and turned out to be impossible to remove. Before I jump on the PC bandwagon I need these questions resolved by an authoritative source. I have other concerns as well but these are the two biggies.
Actually, shotgunners have already did the legwork along with gunpowder mfg's.

There's 2 types of coating.
polyurethane
polyester

The polyurethane is a paint product and involves chemicals to use.
The polyester is a powder product that uses static (#5 container air soft bb's). to use.

Shotgun shell cases are made out of a polyurethane.
Shotgun wads have been made out of polyurethane, nylon, polyester.
Polyester adipate (adipate ='s alkyd resin) has been used to coat gunpowders for a long time. It slows the burn rate of the powder.

So anyway, everyone's been shooting these types of plastics for decades with no ill affect on anything.

I use the polyester coating and love how easy it is to clean the firearms after a range session. What a revolver looks like after a typical 200round range session. Hoppe's #9 on a rag and everything wipes right off. Use the same #9 on a patch and after 2 or 3 passes down the bore, it's clean. No more brushing, etc, just 1 wet patch and 1 dry patch. The cylinder needs a standard cleaning due to the carbon build-up from the burnt powder. But the cylinders are no where near as bad as they would be with the burnt carbon/lube from traditional cast/lubed bullets.

Try doing that with traditional cast/lubed bullets.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: