View Single Post

Old 02-04-2016, 08:52 AM

Liked 1,661 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubless View Post
Back when my eyes were good, I took my own hard cast 410459s lubed with Lyman #2, sized to .410" and shot one ragged hole off a rest @ 25 yards for as long as I wanted to stack them. If it needs to be more accurate than that I don't need it.

I will say it again: cast them out of the right alloy, size them correctly, and use the right lube, and you are good to go. Plastic coatings are the answer to a non-existent problem.
Good answer.
You're absolutely correct and more importantly, you're happy with what you've found, made created!!!!

Perhaps you could give me a little advice on what alloy, lube and size bullet I should try with a couple of my non-existent problems.

1. I like to shoot firearms with muzzle breaks and ports. For some odd reason lead bullets clog those holes and pc'd bullets do not. Any idea what lead alloy or size bullet I should use/try for these 357's that have muzzle breaks installed on them.

2. I like to shoot:
Home swaged lead/jacketed bullets what alloy for the cores
8,000psi/14,000psi hollow base bullets
13,000/21,000psi spl loads
25,000psi/30,000psi loads
35,000+psi loads
Any recommendations on the different alloys I should use for those different pressure ranges???? Along with, "Can I use the same lube for everything from light hb pistol loads to high pressure/speed rifle loads"???

3. I have 3 different 9mm's that the bbl's slug 3 different sizes along with 10 different 38spl/357 bbl's that are different. I like to shoot anything from 8,000psi target loads in them to 30,000+psi mag/9mm loads along with the bbl's slugged out anywhere from .355 to .358. Any idea how many different alloys and how many different bullet sizes I should use to get the right alloy/fit combo for all of these different firearms and loads. Can I use the same lube with all those different loads???

4. I like to shoot 44cal's been a huge fan of them for decades. They slug out anywhere from .429 to .432 and a couple of them are 44psl's and the rest are 44mags. I keep the special loads around 9,000psi to 13,000psi and the 44mag loads around 16,000psi to 35,000+psi using anything from 5 different hbwc's/wc's to 310gr rf's. Any idea how many different alloys, lubes and sizes I need for the 44cal's???

I'll give those non-existent problems I've encountered using traditional size/alloy/lube a try.

1. None/zero/nada, there's no lead alloy/size that will work. Lead bullets clog ports and muzzle breaks along with spraying fine lead on sights/etc. You have to use either jacketed or coated bullets. And yes coated bullets are the cat's meow in cans.

I'll give it the simple version for the rest of the answers with pc'd bullets:
2. 1 alloy for everything including questions 3/4
3. 1 size
4. 1 size

Opps, forgot the lube/lubes for all those different applications?

So lets see, I use 1 alloy for everything (9/10bhn range scrap,free), 1 lube for everything and 1 size for each caliber. And they can be shot in firearms with ports, muzzle breaks and cans.

What did you come up with using your traditional correct alloy, correct lube, correct size method????

If I was a gambling man I'd bet you didn't come up with 1 alloy/lube/size for each caliber.

And yes I know a little about screw in chokes, own/use several. Hate to tell you how many different screw in chokes I've honed/polished to get a specific load on center with an excellent pattern/even shot density for a specif yardage, hence 21yds for skeet and 16yd and specif yardages for handi-cap in trap.

Enjoy
The Following 4 Users Like Post: