View Single Post

Old 02-04-2016, 09:29 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,218 Times in 1,043 Posts

Thing have slowed down a bit. Disc blowout at L5-S1 is mashing on the right side S1 nerve root. Kinda like being kicked squarely right in the initiative. As a result I haven't been getting much done lately.

Here's where we're at as of this evening....

Got the stainless slide detail stripped and freshened up the finish in the blast cabinet. I got started fitting the new sights and Uggghh! This again

This is the second time I've had to deal with this. The sight is just too long for the cut in the slide.

The last time I addressed this by filing the trailing edge of the sight to fit. I didn't care for the outcome in the end. It looked lousy and compromised the finish on the sight presenting an avenue for rust to take hold. I pulled the sight that time and went in another direction.

This time I decided to stretch the sight cut in the slide a bit. I only need about 0.005" longer to make it fit. And this way I will preserve the finish on the sight proper so no rust concerns with normal care.

So, over to the mill for a little trim.

Yup, that'll do nicely

I was considering re-blasting but a test fit of the sight and you'd never know anything was milled there. So, nevermind

Next, install that tiny bushing I made.
I machined a pair of those punches some months ago for another member and liked them so much I had to make another set just for me. These are just for installing and removing those little bushings. The fat one's for knocking them in and the skinny for driving them out.

Here's the bushing sitting on the punch with a little dab of retaining compound ready to go in.

Three or four whacks with a small hammer. Note how the slide is supported on the bench block. resting on the face of the spring tunnel and not on the barrels bushing.

And..She's in.

All done here with this one.

And

Waiting on delivery of the Caswell stuff to complete the 4014 slide. (ordered on the 19th and shipped only yesterday???) Anyway, assuming the stuff works well, I want to blacken the decocker, bushing, guiderod, and touch up the slide a little. So that'll be the next update where we get to play with dangerous chemicals.

Saving the barrels for last

Cheers
Bill