Thread: S&W Model 439
View Single Post

Old 02-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Liked 14,858 Times in 5,050 Posts

The 439 also has a firing pin lock making it "upgraded" for safer carry in the event of a dropped pistol. There were certainly far fewer 439's made and sold than the 39-2. Probably need to compare pistol to pistol, but it's been my experience that the single action trigger break on the 1st Gen pistols is likely better than on their 2nd Gen counterparts, but neither are target pistols so most won't notice a big difference.

For carry, I would prefer a 439. For joy of shooting and pride of ownership, I'd rather have a 39-2. Otherwise, they are comparable pistols and you have a great gun.

NOW!
Maybe I simply haven't been paying attention over the years where I should have been! I want to hear someone explain to me what in the world is going on with the extractor in the pictured handgun!

I have not ever, at least that I can recall, seen THAT extractor on a S&W 1-2-3rd Gen pistol. I am familiar with the old-style long extractor on the original Model 39 and the Models 52 and 52-1, but that one in the picture is different.

I have two 1st Gens and four 2nd Gens and more 3rd Gens but I don't have any S&W pistol with that extractor. Help?!
The Following User Likes This Post: