View Single Post

Old 02-19-2016, 10:29 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,216 Times in 1,043 Posts
Default More magazine tuning

Had to do a little more adjusting today.

My Postman delivered four white 10mm followers in this afternoon and yup as I suspected would be the case I'll need to give then a bit of a trim.

No way will I see the breech lock open on a empty mag with this. The follower is too fat at the top to fit between the feed lips.

I had a feeling this would be the case from my fiddling with the orange 40 and yellow 10mm followers. You can see here the orange 40 has a milled relief cut up at the top to fit the 40 mags.

That old yellow 10mm follower I have lacked that relief cut and would not lock open on an empty... That is, until I adjusted it some adding that relief cut you see here.

So, I figured if I give those white followers a haircut like I did with the yellow one, all would be well

Off to the milling machine. Same end mill in there I used the other day to cut on the magazines and you can see the area that needs trimming.

I shaved off 0.014" off each side from the top down about .180"

Milling is all done.

One more thing... Judging by eye, filed a 30° bevel about 0.040 high on each side too.

Two mags all set to go and two spare followers.

Range day tomorrow. I have 100 rounds of greenbox remington to burn up. Initial test drive of the "1014' as well as the "1013" top end which is going to my friend in Florida. I have a couple different recoil springs to evaluate but I'm pretty sure at this point which spring I'll wind up going with in the end.

Then I need to spend some time getting some dope on my 6.5 Grendel with the brand new glass

So, next update tomorrow evening.

Cheers
Bill