Thread: Perfected
View Single Post

Old 02-22-2016, 01:49 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,956 Times in 3,659 Posts

First, the "Olympic Chamber" is not as rare as we once thought. A recent letter was posted (somewhere), also commentary by Jinks noting considerably more such guns than were originally thought. Don't quote me, but a number in excess of 2,000 sticks in my mind. Additionally, such guns are most likely to be (serial) numbered above 10,000, and shipped in 1920 and after.

Second, such guns, (with both early and late "chambers") are substantially more accurate (smaller groups) than standard guns. I've tested all versions as scientifically as possible (without a machine rest), and there is no question about it. Standard gun---all 10's @ 25 yards. "Olympic" guns---all X ring @ 25 yards. Given the results, I've seen, I suspect tests conducted with a machine rest would produce ragged one hole groups. It's perhaps noteworthy there was no difference in the performance between early and late "chambers"---aside from the later "chambers" being easier to load----easier, not easy. But then again, I cheated---used a "pusher".

Ralph Tremaine

I should have added 25 rounds were fired from each of the three guns (all 10"---same sights). Also, no effort was made to determine optimum ammunition. I shot what I had on the shelf----Aguila SE Subsonic.

Last edited by rct269; 02-22-2016 at 02:02 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: