View Single Post

Old 02-29-2016, 12:20 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,213 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigil617 View Post
Master Chief, I and I'm sure others here who've never shot 10mm would be interested to know how you developed this interest in the cartridge. Frankly, I was surprised to read that you're considering switching to your converted 10mm pistol as your EDC from your 45ACP's. All of us here value your opinions about these matters, and if 10mm is your choice in a self-defense round, I for one feel the need to sit up and take notice.

I've been a 45ACP guy at heart, though I toyed with 40S&W at one point, but I eventually "ran home to mama" and have been dedicated to big, fat, and slow ever since. I read that the FBI Hostage Rescue and SWAT teams are still issued 10mm, and that some police agencies use it too. I guess recoil was the biggest knock on 10mm as a "one size fits all" round for LE, but I've never had a problem with 45ACP and don't think 10mm would be an issue for me.

What say you on this?
Not to worry, I'm not going to be "mothballing" my 45s anytime soon... In fact...Not now, Not ever!

I've seen a lot of these baby 10's on the forum and I had a bunch of parts on hand to make one, so when the opportunity presented itself to cook up a couple of these, I jumped at the chance.

I've been a bit enamored of the 10mm Auto ever since first reading about it in Jeff Cooper's commentaries many years ago.

I weighed the completed gun against my regular carry guns merely out of curiosity. Since hurting my back I've been mostly carrying the Shorty45 because it's lighter weight is less stressful on my lower back. It was interesting to see the "1014" weighs virtually the same as my Shorty. Anyway My back is slowly healing and I was able to carry my SSV all day Saturday in relative comfort.

I do like the "1014" a lot and I can see where these conversions have a lot of appeal as a CCW. Once I have full confidence in it's reliability I may include it among the guns I carry. I'll have to play with it some more to develop that level of trust. Plus I'll need to settle on a carry load and assure reliability with that too. I'm kinda leaning towards the 165gr Golddot Underwood loading. This in no way means it will supplant any of my 45s.

Now I have no empirical evidence, this is merely what I think or my opinion if you wish...Firstly, I didn't see the recoil as an issue. Perhaps I'm insensitive to recoil but I though it no worse than than a compact 45. The main downside for me is that it is very "barky". I would not want to touch one of these off in an enclosed space, say in my house or in a vehicle. Same reason I don't use a .357 snubby for CCW, too barky. I already have some degree of permanent hearing damage and would rather not need to be scraping my eardrums off the windshied

I also think 10mm Auto gives up a lot of its capability in a short barrel and is much more suited to a fullsize pistol. I've seen it argued in many forums that the 10mm Auto in a short barrel is nearly identical ballistically to the 40S&W which I have zero interest in. So in a 3.5" or thereabouts barrel, same terminal ballistics except with more flash, blast & bark with the 10mm.

No, I'll be sticking with my 45s. Low pressure and relatively quiet big fat heavy subsonic bullets and even if the fancy high speed modern hollowpoint fails, it still leaves a half inch hole.

I do see a factory adjustable sight 1006 in my future though

Cheers
Bill

Last edited by BMCM; 02-29-2016 at 02:07 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: