View Single Post

Old 03-08-2016, 06:40 AM

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default New S&W 4566TSW Owner - Couple Questions

Hey everybody. Since I got really into guns a few years ago I always had an interested in a steel-frame (or alloy) S&W but never really found any for sale, for whatever reason. I thought they'd be more common but I rarely saw them on Armslist or used in shops.

Traded my 1911 for a better deal, so I was looking for another .45. Came across this like-new S&W 4566TSW for $450 (private party) with 3 mags and 2 Holsters. No box unfortunately, but it's in awesome condition and I'm really happy with what I paid for the quality I got. Only thing I don't like are the Hogue grips on it - they're pretty damn fat and I have somewhat large hands.

I'm most likely going to order the factory grips (unsure if flat or arched) and I'm hoping they'll be much thinner in profile like a 1911 or my CZ P-07. Anyway, under the Hogue grips there is a pin towards the very bottom rear of the frame near the magwell... I'm hoping that is the pin that is used to retain the factory grips? I'm assuming it is but I don't want to get the original grips to find I'm missing the pin.

I'm new to the older S&W semi-autos but I've seen models with plugs where the Safety/Decocker is on my 4566. I really do not like slide controls, especially when they overlap the serrations and making slide manipulation awkward, especially on such a great gun like this 4566TSW. I got to wondering if it would be possible to remove the safety/decocker assembly entirely and put the plugs in the slide. I'm not sure if the assembly has any function in retaining the Firing Pin, but from the disassembly video I've seen and looking at the diagram, it appears not to.

I'm aware that (if even possible) removing the Decocker/Safety may be questionable to some, but this will be exclusively a range gun and I prefer no safeties anyways. I don't want to permanently modify my new, beautiful 4566TSW but I'd really just like to have a smooth slide with no controls and if it's actually possible (and parts available) I may consider it. I almost always end up trading or selling for something better but I already know this 4566 is a keeper.

Thanks for any advice and forgive my ignorance if this seems like a stupid thing to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4566-L.jpg (90.5 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg 4566-2.jpg (68.9 KB, 160 views)
The Following 4 Users Like Post: