View Single Post

Old 03-08-2016, 04:01 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,587 Times in 2,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS88 View Post
I'm new to the older S&W semi-autos but I've seen models with plugs where the Safety/Decocker is on my 4566. I really do not like slide controls, especially when they overlap the serrations and making slide manipulation awkward, especially on such a great gun like this 4566TSW. I got to wondering if it would be possible to remove the safety/decocker assembly entirely and put the plugs in the slide. I'm not sure if the assembly has any function in retaining the Firing Pin, but from the disassembly video I've seen and looking at the diagram, it appears not to.

I'm aware that (if even possible) removing the Decocker/Safety may be questionable to some, but this will be exclusively a range gun and I prefer no safeties anyways. I don't want to permanently modify my new, beautiful 4566TSW but I'd really just like to have a smooth slide with no controls and if it's actually possible (and parts available) I may consider it. I almost always end up trading or selling for something better but I already know this 4566 is a keeper.

Thanks for any advice and forgive my ignorance if this seems like a stupid thing to do.
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it can be done and quite easily.
Substituting the "firing pin retainer" from the 4586TSW for the "manual safety assembly" from your 4566TSW will provide you with the smooth slide you desire.
Your pistol will still operate in DA/SA mode but will have NO MANUAL SAFETY!!!
Decocking the hammer will require you to press the trigger while lowering the hammer with your thumb.
While us revolver guys have been doing that since the late 1800's, it is kinda frightening to some people.

As it involves removing one of the safety devices, it would be wise to proceed with caution and give this some real thought.

If you choose to do it, I can provide you with details.

Prepare for gasps of horror to follow.

John
The Following 5 Users Like Post: