View Single Post

Old 03-08-2016, 11:45 PM

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddy Smith View Post
and welcome!

Many guys that start with S&W third gens don't start with that model. You jumped right into the deep end of the pool

And watch out for the "gentlemen" on this forum. They are enablers. I stopped by a few years ago for a little advice and they advised me to buy this one and that one and........

Enjoy,
Lad
Thanks for the welcome, I'm happy to finally own a Smith semi-auto that looks and feels great to me (I REALLY don't like the M&P). Quality on this 4566TSW is pretty great and I like the slide markings. From what I understand, though not sure how much of it is marketing, the TSW models are a bit tighter and mine feels like it. Slide/frame fit is as good as any 1911 I've seen and the slide is smooth as butter. The 3rd gen I linked in the video above had some pretty bad tooling marks but mine is pretty well polished at all the contact points.

Tried to find some literature on the TSW guns but didn't see a whole lot out there. Any of you guys know what kind of steel was used for the Frame and Slide? These were sold before my time but I'm sure they weren't cheap and probably competed with the HK USP and such.

Funny how I ended up with the 4566.. I bought a new 4" 586 about a month ago and sold it because it was slightly bigger than I like for a Revolver. I have a Colt Trooper Mk. III 6" and prefer the balance of that to the L-frame Smiths. I almost ordered a new 66 and should have, I think. Anyways, I traded my 1911 for a 4.2" Ruger SP101 which left me looking for another .45, and used some of the cash left over from selling the 586 to buy the 4566 after I talked him down to $450.

The 586 was nice and a beautiful gun, but I just really like the size and balance of a K frame or my Trooper Mk. III. I'm hoping to find a 19 or 66 with some wear for a reasonable price but the SP101 4.2" is a good range gun for now.
The Following User Likes This Post: