View Single Post

Old 03-09-2016, 06:50 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,193 Times in 1,040 Posts

DA trigger was a little gritty so I swapped out the hammer. I was going to stone the original hammer but that one is lopsided and it was bugging me so it's out. Here it is next to a later MIM hammer and you can see how cockeyed it is Things like that make my brain itch

Found another blued wrought hammer in the bin and stoned the radius smooth above the hooks. Really slicked up the DA pull.

I've been carrying the "1014" around the property the past couple days. It carries very well and I must thank 6actual for turning me on to the small flat magazine baseplates. Those really complete the package IMO. Weighs in at 33.6oz loaded with 9 x 165gr Speer Gold Dots from Underwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Fatboy View Post
I'm curious, how's that Caswell treatment/ coating holding up since putting some rounds thru it?
Well, not so great. The black on the decocker and ambi levers is almost completely worn off.

My little bushing and the guiderod seem to be holding up better but not by much. The bushing is still black and guiderod is now a medium grey color.

In all fairness to Caswell I must point out that I didn't follow the directions 100%. Also different alloys of stainless are to be treated differently ie. different concentrations of the solution and different times spent in the solution bath. I only know for certain the alloy the guiderod & bushing are made from being 416 stainless. I do not know what steel the levers are made from but treated all the parts at the same time in the same manner. So it's very likely the iffy results are solely my fault.

I may pull & clean these parts and try again. I'm also entertaining a roll of the dice to see if that spring wound on the decocker will survive a dip in the meloniting bath.

But not right now. I have some Karl Nill grips that need messing with.

Cheers
Bill