View Single Post

Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts

Not dry firing a .22 is easily understood, but some always want to argue that it does not hurt anything. There are enough pictures of damaged chamber faces floating around to impress this fact on anyone who really does not understand this.

There are guns with perfect tolerances which stop the forward motion of the firing pin, but because of tolerance stackup, your gun may or may not be one of them. In addition even if a gun can be dry fired without damage, normal parts wear can cause damage in time.

I have formed the attitude that if someone wants to argue the point, as long as he does not dry fire mine, let him learn from experience. If the chamber face is ruined, the repair cost will help his learning curve.

So a sales department for a certain manufacturer tells you that his product is safe to dry fire. Trust him at your own discretion, but if your gun is damaged, you will be told it is because of normal wear and will probably have to pay for the repair out of your own pocket.

Tell a child that if he touches a hot surface, he may get burned. Warn someone that dry firing may ruin his gun and he does it anyway and it is his problem. Either way, I will not lose any sleep over your problem.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: