View Single Post

Old 03-13-2016, 08:47 AM
US Veteran

Liked 39,491 Times in 10,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raljr1 View Post
Is that a reasonable modification? I have been watching a model 25-2 marked Model of 1955, in 45 ACP at a LGS, I'd really like to have one in 45 Colt. This one is in excellent shape, but I would consider such a mod if reasonable.

Really sweet piece you have there.
It would be possible. But, there are a couple problems. Finding and fitting another extractor star. One for a 45/colt would be hard to find. One from a 357-44 could be reworked. The pins for alignment are often a little bit off from one cylinder/extractor are little off and something might have to be done to make both extractors fit right. Model 28 cylinders are not that hard to find. A good Smith can ream one and fit it. Then you just remove yoke and replace cylinder assembly.
Another thought I had was to just ream the 45 acp cylinder to the colt depth, then redo a couple full moon clips so the 45/colt cases slid though them. They would become spacers to hold the correct headspace for the colt rounds.

Any of it is possible. I have 3 S&W 45s that fire either round, but I use cylinders that are set up by making a 45/colt cylinder then Milling a relief in them for the full moon clips holding 45/acps.

What makes the op's gun great is it was an interesting method done at the factory.

Last edited by steelslaver; 03-13-2016 at 08:55 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: