View Single Post

Old 03-14-2016, 08:26 PM

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

My post revives a thread from 2012. I chose to revive it rather than write my own OP of a new thread. For all of you who chastise the newbie to "do a search", I did...and this is the end result. This is long, go get some fresh whatever you're drinking right now.

To all: please read from the beginning? My comments and remarks will be better understood when you do.

1) I am in the same place as the OP, wanting a M&P pistol, and chose the 9c for purchase. However, I wanted 2 guns, identical in every respect which added some difficulty to my buying experience since there are only 2 LGS within 100 miles of my home. I was elated to find 2 9c pistols at one location, however one was a "civilian" gun and the other a "LE" only gun, as determined by S&W. Minor issue I could address after purchase, or so I was led to believe by the LGS.

Neither gun had a manual safety but the GS at the LGS assured me that he could order the parts for the manual safeties when he ordered the one missing MD. His assurance was so well presented (even showed me the two knock-out tabs on the frames) that I went forward with the purchase. My decision was sealed by a 50 dollar discount on each gun, which would pay for the LGS/GS upgrades. One additional form for S&W on my LEO status, and I took home my two new additions to the collection.

2) As time passed, I grew suspicious of the polished sales approach of the GS. Not hearing any news by TX, I stopped by the LGS for a second helping only to learn that the GS was lacking time in grade but felt that "I went to Smith's Armorer School" was all he needed to be a GS anyway. I recalled that at one time an FFL was required but he assured me that this was no longer the case. In any event, guard up and lesson learned, I moved on.

3) The OP is correct. S&W will not sell any safety parts. In fact, they won't even discuss it after that restriction has been stated. Others whom S&W suggested (Brownells, Midway) would be happy to order the parts for me, just get the part number. Calling back to S&W drew a regurgitation of the same disclaimer, refusing to provide the PN. I was growing very disappointed. I made a foolish decision based in my urgency to go forward with my project AND I spent seed money I was not going to recover without suffering a loss.

4) Visiting the other LGS who employed another GS full-time, I presented my 9c pistols for upgrade. "Magazine disconnect won't be an issue, but the manual safeties...Man, I just don't know. Can you get the parts?" I had to admit defeat. Frozen in place because I didn't know what to do next, I found a 45c in the case. FDE with a manual safety. I looked it over closely before asking the GS if he had another. " Hold on..." And he called a sales tech into the conversation and went back to smithing. The answer was yes, an identical gun was at the warehouse and my plans looked a tad better, again. Traded my 9c pistols for two 45c. The money hurt, but I'll live. Actually, this feeling of "stupid" is more expensive.

My point here is to say..."Y'all on your soap boxes, leave us alone". I know I did not ignore any of the suggested arguments when I selected the M&P line for my project, and I am sure the OP did likewise. This much was obvious, stated early on. Yet you pursue, sometimes ridiculously. Okay, you had your shot, it's over. Those of y'all who tried to help the OP, on his behalf...Thank you.

The OP knows what he wants. I know what I want. The solutions are few, but still possible. So, why did I type so much to say so? Because I can.

I can because in May of 1976, on the west side of Chicago, I dropped the magazine from my Browning Hi-Power and crawled away to take cover and get to my back-up weapon.

There...My story. Me. I am here because of an MD, and a manual safety. If it's a pistol, I will not own anything less capable. Y'all can tell stories built on data and third party re-telling, but I do not have to. Now when y'all say "I know a guy" you can bring them back here.

The OP question was "how". Not "why". Now look at what y'all did.

I expect some flack, but y'all be safe anyway.