View Single Post

Old 03-16-2016, 08:56 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Brand New 629 with a Canted Barrel

New to the S&W Forum - It sounds like a lot of folks have had this problem: Well, first of all, I did buy this on Gunbroker, so I guess I deserve it. Picked up my brand new 629 4" yesterday and when I got it home and looked, the barrel was obviously canted off vertical. Being a little OCD about my guns, I freaked out. I called S&W and they told me that their tolerance is now up to 2 degrees off vertical. The barrels are torqued in until the machine detects the right tension - but the tolerance is up to 2 degrees!! He said that the gun had been test fired and the cant should not affect function. I can literally see that the front sight leans over to the right a bit. Drives me crazy. I may take it to a local smith who is very good (pistol smith of the year by the Pistol Smiths Guild several times). Why do I have a feeling that he will do a better job than S&W, even if it does cost me more money. One of the reasons I bought the gun on line is that the price was great for a brand new gun. Guess I know why now. There goes my great price!