View Single Post

Old 03-16-2016, 11:59 PM

Liked 6,562 Times in 2,597 Posts

I'm ok so far. Thanks to all who shared their story. They are eye openers.

When young right after Corpsman school I was working in the Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo Er. An army SGT came in, that was in the late 60's, I'll never forget he was 36. DI, tough guy in shape.

He went while being examined, I was there, the ER Doc said we need Dr' So and So, I knew them, he also said the Col's weekly staff meeting is going on and he won't be interrupted. Without being asked I sprinted up the hall to the conference room next to the Col's office and went in, the 2 heart surgeons, everyone there knew me, I was the triage guy for the evening shift ER and all did their ER on call . I had just started a 3 PM shift.

When I opened the Door Col Peyton looked at me, he was not to be interrupted. I authoritatively said, Dr. Bonvalet and Dr X, forgot his name, follow me. I turned and started running down the hall, they caught me and asked for the update. They went straight to the bed and one jumped in yelling orders, He took the long needle and went straight to the heart. Then started external cardiac massage, vigorously and kept it up. there had been approx 2 minutes expire. They kept at it, the young sgt did not make it. All of the younger folks were stunned. Wow, 36 and gone.

I was assisting and looked up to see Col Peyton standing watching. The Dr's were busy, he made eye contact with me and nodded his approval.

The 2 ER Doc's both Captains were discussing not interrupting the Col for fear of reprisal. I did not wait, in emergencies one must take charge and perform the needed action.

They said the younger one is at a serious heart attack the more apt the heart muscles are to completely lock up. I do not remember hearing the autopsy results, if there was one, it may have been what is referred to as the widow maker.

I do know that guys on this forum are the toughest bunch of knot heads to ever walk the planet. Keep it up.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: