View Single Post

Old 03-19-2016, 04:10 AM

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Hey again everybody. Back again with a couple updates on my progress and some new pics back in factory config. I ordered the Curved factory S&W grips and some Wolff hammer springs from Midway and got them installed the other day. Also ordered the Firing Pin Retainer (thank you Bluedot37!) from Numrich this last Sunday and it still hasn't shipped yet.. disappointing.

The (Curved) factory Grips are a big improvement over the Hogue grips in terms of girth and looks but I think I might prefer the profile of the Flat grips instead - wish I could've tried both before ordering. I installed the 16lb Wolff spring while I was changing out the grips and the DA pull is pretty fantastic now. Single action seems a bit lighter but I'm not 100% sure; SA was already light and crisp so it's hard to tell without a gauge. I'm going to go a bit further soon and lightly polish the contact surfaces in the trigger system to see if that improves it further. Excellent guide here (
). Hammer power is still strong and I'm not expecting light strikes but have 2 higher-power springs to install if necessary.

Anyways, gave it its first good cleaning when I put on the grips and it looks great now. Love the finish on this gun and it seems pretty durable, even has a nice semi-matte shine when lightly oiled! Do you guys know if the TSW markings on the Slide are printed on or engraved? It doesn't feel engraved to the touch so I'm hoping to preserve the lettering so please let me know if you have suggestions.

I have questions about the frame and slide that I'll ask here but it's probably more appropriate for a new thread:

1. Is the Frame Forged or Cast on the steel-frame S&Ws and what type of Steel was used? Are TSW models different in any way in construction?

2. What type of Steel is used in the Slide and Barrel (assuming Slide is forged)?

3. Are there any parts prone to failure or issues I should keep an eye out for (on 3rd gen .45s, but my 4566TSW in particular)?

Thanks in advance. I have a lot of interest in this gun because it's sexy, seems well-made and is one of the most unique guns in my budding collection.

Here's the pics: http://imgur.com/a/IJKLY