View Single Post

Old 03-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Range report 3/26/2013 and first some answers to previous posts:
1. FTF = Failure to Feed in this context
2. Reloading done in Dillon 650 but in two stages. First a die holder is with only the sizing die installed and is used to size the cases. Then the cases are gauged, then trimmed. Next, another die holder is set up with the powder drop, powder check, bullet seating and crimping die. So, in essence, my process is sizing the cases as if single stage press and then use the Dillon 308 sizing gauge to verifying gage depth on base and mouth. Plus, I use a 10X jewelers loop lens to examine the case in the gauge for accuracy.
3. Each case is hand gauged and trimmed. So, prior to loading all cases are very consistent in size.
4. AOL of reloads is 2.743

Range Report trip 3 sequence:

8 rounds factory Winchester feed and fire without issues

3 Reloads 168 gr Hornaday HPBT would not strip a round off mag

30 rounds factory Winchester feed and fire without issues

10 Reloads 6:10 feed and fire without issue. 4 failure to strip round out mag and last round would not leave the bolt carrior in open position

10 rounds of factory Winchester feed and fire with out issues

10 reloads 8:10 feed and fire without issue. 2 feed ramp jams

10 reloads 7:10 feed and fire without issue. 3 not stripped from mag and last round left the bolt carrier in open position.

Installed a Limb-saver pad on the stock made shooting much more comfortable this range trip.

My reloads seem to have more power than the factory loads, even though they are loaded on the lower side of the Lyman's' recipe range. Is there a sweet spot in terms of bullet velocity/gas pressure that ensure enough gas is ported back to the bolt carrier to ensure adequate return in the back position to strip of another round or hold the carrier back on the last round? Can too much pressure have an impact on bolt carrier performance on an SA rifle?

Last edited by TexasAlko; 03-27-2016 at 02:36 PM.