View Single Post

Old 03-28-2016, 10:11 AM

Liked 9,289 Times in 3,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbarry View Post
Any semi-auto of the 1911 style carried in "cocked and locked" sounds reasonable.... until the SHTF. I've tried drawing from IWB behind the hip and shoulder holster positions and getting the safety off and gun pointed in the correct direction to fire is TOO MUCH TO ASK in a real emergency, particularly with sub-compact guns (small safety in "ON" position).
That is a training issue, pure and simple. Like any other psychomotor skill, it takes a lot of repetitions, properly conducted under controlled circumstances to develop and maintain adequate skill. I carried a 1911 as a duty weapon for quite a while once we had the option to get away from the below mentioned monstrosities.

I've carried DA/SA pistols by mandate, and hated them. The typical slide mounted safety/decocker is an ergonomic abomination that should have resulted in severe beatings for the idiots who designed and mandated them.

As for carrying a round chambered, that is not an optional situation. It's utterly critical. The only exception is if one is carry some real odd old clunker because that's all they can afford. One cannot count on having time or the ability to draw and chamber a round. Go study under any combat (mil or LE) experienced instructor and you'll get the same answer and teaching every time.

I have a couple of 1911s, and rarely carry that format any more. As I become more arthritic, it becomes more unrealistic. I also have to consider my daily work attire, and that pretty much mandates a pocket carried G33 (yes, in a pocket holster, and yes, with a round chambered). Belt carried, IWB or OWB, I often carry my 19L (cut down 17).

Last edited by Doug M.; 03-28-2016 at 10:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: