View Single Post

Old 04-08-2016, 11:26 PM

Liked 6,562 Times in 2,597 Posts

All this turkey talk has brought on lots of gobbling, i mean talking.

Bill I keep splaining that I used to have 6 Parkers and Philadelphia Foxes and when I sold them at the divorce I shied away from even looking or touching them. They have a a pull for a user that is stronger than the new synthetic stuff on the street. For a while I thought I was gonna have to go to Double's rehab.

I hear you and understand proofing for most BP shotguns, the problem is, there are plenty of old uncared for for border line guns.

I personally would not have any issues with a solid gun and have used low brass smokeless ammo in damascus.

Oh, Bill you said a pic of the turkey by your Fox. And then said scouting, do you scout with a double to keep coyotes off you?

For some of the guys who have not done it and want to shoot low power loads.

My first 12 after my 410 was my Grandfathers White powder Wonder.

Long barrel and full choke, I shot lots of squirrels and rabbits with it. All using low brass ammo.

When I lived in the middle of the original Turkey Mecca I took it one year for opening day of the 2nd week. I used my 7.5 reloads, they worked well in doubles or pumps but were a little weak and didn't function in Autos. I killed the largest turkey I'd ever seen, the shot peppered the head and neck. That is pretty basic compared to a 3.5 inch modern turkey gun.

Also for you gents that are just starting, do not look at the turkeys body when it's time to shoot, after you verify it has a beard, usually the fluffy ones strutting and gobbling. Except on cool or wet days, they may just wander around, look for the beard.

When you shoot line the bbl up on the head. I usually hold the bead under the head at the jaw. Like a rifle, squeeze the trigger.

Pump in another round in the chamber just in case.

I've killed a semi full of Deer and a lesser truck full of turkeys.

Deer brings a different reward than turkeys. Deer are quiet, sneaky and camoflaged. When a deer is brought to bag one feels elated, glad to have meat for the larder and then it is nice if it has a good rack.

Turkey on the other hand are only quiet sometimes, sneaky and well cammo'ed. When they are gobbling your BP rises, you find yourself purely excited. While the gobble just out of sight or range you may find breathing a little difficult, as in remembering to actually breath.

When it hits the ground be ready for a follow up, I knocked down quite a few that bounced up like they were on a trampoline. They can go airborne as quick as a pheasant or Quail and can move fast, they can wiggle around trees and you can watch the rise and hit a ridge a half a mile away while you're brain is still saying I hit hem what happened.

And that is exactly what happened on the first one I knocked down that bounced up. 20 or 30 before him had stayed down. I saw it several more times but was ready.

I've killed more turkey in jeans and a dark shirt than camo. Turkeys are pretty lustful but be ready or they will beat a fast retreat.

Legs. Turkeys have long legs and they can run about 88 MPH it seems.

They can be airborne in a leap to roost or take 2 quick steps and be airborne for the next ridge.

Be aware of your surroundings. Hunters wear camo.

My brother was one of the best turkey hunters ever until he quit.
He can move better than D. Boone, he sounds like a Gobbler or hen. He quit because folks would hear him and move it to get a bird. HE was sitting by a large Oak, waiting to shoot a Tom he called in, when BOOM! a guy had set up a tree or 2 behind him and shot the gobbler. Bro yelled out the guys heritage and the fella ran off, Bro pick up the bird and never has hunted public land again.

Keep your eyes open and your neck turning, like ole Tom hisself.

Good luck to all of you.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: