View Single Post

Old 04-16-2016, 02:54 PM

Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
Someone can buy a ported handgun if they want, but if personal defense is the primary objective, I would avoid ported models and think it best to reserve their use to range and sport only. You can find opinions advocating for or against just about any position or perspective from anonymous posters on the internet who may have little to no experience in regards to the topic at hand. You can choose to listen to them or heed the words of some of the most distinguished and recognized experienced leaders in the industry. I would recommend the later.

The biggest negative thing I see with the porting is that if you have to fire from a retention position, it will blast hot gases and debris up toward your eyes. That's not just a distraction; it could cause permanent vision damage, and at the worst possible time. - Massad Ayoob

I don’t like ported barrels on self-defense guns. The clearest danger is the risk of hot, explosive gases vented up into the shooters eyes and face. - Michael de Bethencourt

Ported barrels can be downright dangerous when fired from retention. I have personally seen where what appeared to be part of the jacket embed itself into the face of one of our officers during retention training. Even if no hard particles leave the port, the gas definitely is directed straight into your face.- Mike Moore, Gunsite Academy Instructor

I have zero use for the comped Glocks. I have seen people injured from shooting them from retention and not getting the gun canted outboard enough before pulling the trigger. - Chuck Haggard

I do know one thing about the retention position. It sucks when one is using a ported gun!!! - Marty Hayes

Compensated Glocks--retention shooting is miserable, flash is increased, and I am aware of one organization that had reliability issues with them due to debris build-up. - Dr. Gary Roberts aka DocGKR

A thorough explanation as to why porting should be avoided on a defensive firearm... https://snubtraining.wordpress.com/2...orted-barrels/

Man you just won't give it a rest
The Following 6 Users Like Post: