View Single Post

Old 04-16-2016, 05:25 PM

Liked 14,860 Times in 5,052 Posts

My adventure in to the .45cal pistols may be a tiny bit off the beaten path. In order, I got mine like this:

1) non-IPSC Model 745. Originally shipped with fixed rear sight but some previous owner installed an adjustable sight that works well and isn't ugly.

2) PC 845 Limited, from the second run in 1998. This pistol is the finest single firearm that I own and I'd honestly say it may hold that distinction until I'm dead & gone from this life.

3) 4556TSW, since so many were hitting the used market. I really had no desire for one but the price was oh so right. I find it to be the homeliest S&W product I own (awful rail, awful billboard on the slide) and the obnoxious trigger play spring is gone and the trigger-click almost makes me want to place this gun out at 100 yards and go to work on it with a rifle. KIDDING, mostly. I need to take it apart and get a proper spring in there. The trigger click is obnoxious.

4) Model 745 IPSC with the DVC serial number prefix and the fixed rear sight. I didn't need a second one ("need" ?! what means this?!) but the price was right and man, I totally love my first 745 so it was an easy purchase.

I only have those four. I'm sure I would enjoy a 645 or a 4506 but I've simply got so many projects and extremely lovable Smith & Wesson handguns that I have to get off this train of constantly adding more.

Small ones just hold no interest to me. I completely understand why others like them, they just offer nothing I want at all. Even the 4566 to me, looks short and blocky. I would trade that 4566 for a 5-inch .45cal Smith & Wesson almost without a second thought.