View Single Post

Old 04-21-2016, 04:19 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
Anyways, Ill follow Col. Cooper, Mas Ayoob and several other experienced marksmen I respect who have stated in print that a good trigger is fundamental to good marksmanship. I think those fellows know what they are talking about. YMMV Regards 18DAI
I agree, but applying context changes things a bit from my perspective.

Mas Ayoob also differentiates between the desirable characteristics of a good target or competition gun's trigger from those suitable for a defensive weapon. He carries Glock's as often, if not more than anything else and all are equipped with OEM 8 lb NY trigger spring modules coupled with stock connectors.

I just don't feel a high degree of precision marksmanship is truly necessary in the context of civilian personal defense. No doubt you need to be able to put rounds on target, but the majority of self-defense situations are reactive close-quarter encounters. Due to the compressed distances and time frames and the probable need for movement and unarmed defensive tactics, threat focused shooting is most suitable with precision accuracy not being practical nor likely achievable.

In an actual defense situation, I find it difficult to believe that some of the finer points of what distinguishes a 'good trigger' from a 'bad' one What is a “good” trigger? – www.GrantCunningham.com would likely matter much or at all considering the loss of dexterity and fine motor skills that accompany the adrenaline fueled fight or flight response.
The Following User Likes This Post: