View Single Post

Old 04-22-2016, 12:20 AM

Liked 394 Times in 221 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fowler View Post
So far I have only used the load that I found that works best in my Sig P 210's and tried it today in my 952-1. My first 40 round group at 88 yards measured a little over 7 inches. It must be about the same as the man who used her last used because they were center hold and about 4 inches to the right, but the sun was far to the left which could account for the windage.

3.4 grains of 700 X
Rim Rock 122 grain TC lead bullets
Over All Length of cartridge, 1.34.

I found that the TC 122 grain lead bullets were much more accurate at long range than the 115 grain lead round nose.

I like to judge accuracy on groups of at least 50 shots, it is easy to shoot a smaller group with 5 or 10 shots but I feel the more you shoot the better your prediction of accuracy.

SR 7625 proved very accurate, but I did not have enough to shoot it a lot, that powder is very scarce here.

After shooting I always run a brush filled with bore butter through the bore.

I find mine an absolute joy to shoot, hope you do also.

I expect you would find significantly better accuracy using 124gr. FMJ handloads. If you want the best possible accuracy, WEIGH each powder load. Yes, it's slow. Yes, it makes a difference.

I have cast hundreds of thousands of those curious flat point 122 grain lead bullets. My brother calls them 'crayon point bullets', for their similarity to the Crayola crayons when new. They are great for plinking and shooting for fun, due to their low cost, but manufactured 124gr. FMJ deliver significantly better accuracy in my most accurate 9mm, my H&K P9S Target Model. Since it only has a 4 inch barrel, I doubt it can match the accuracy of a PC 9mm with a 6 inch barrel. But it is fun to shoot. At this point, my long past middle age eyes are the greatest hindrance to my accuracy, beyond about 25 feet. Getting old sucks.