View Single Post

Old 04-22-2016, 02:38 PM

Liked 6,630 Times in 1,832 Posts

I always enjoy these threads and the replies. Like everybody I have my preferences. My preferences come from years of big game hunting and experimenting. When I shoot a deer or elk, I quickly prop them up and do some bullet testing in real flesh and bone. With over 125 bullets recovered from animals I have some insights. One thing that comes up a lot in replies is the accuracy of certain loads. At the ranges bears will be shot at, minute of angle accuracy has zero relevance. Minute of washtub accuracy will do. I have zero use for any hollow point load when tough obstacles are the targets. If you are curious about hollow points on bear skulls check out the video of the game warden shooting a small grizzly in the head with a 357 using 125 grain hollow points, 5 times. The late gun writer Bob Milick was a very knowledgeable hunter, though he came close to cutting his career even shorter when he stepped out in front of my truck in the early morning hours, in Thermopolis, Wyoming. Bob shot a black bear in the head 6 times, at spitting distance, using a 357 and 158 grn hollow points. All six bullets failed to penetrate the skull of a 250# bear. The guide used a Colt Woodsman to put the bear down for good. I have in my collection a 110 grain bullet, from a 357, I recovered from a 3# woodchuck. The bullet failed to exit a 3# rodent. If bears have to be stopped in place, the brain or spine must be penetrated. The only sure way to get this penetration is with solid, hard cast bullets or full metal jacket bullets. Penetration in what will take the fight out of the furry creature. I shot a small black bear 4 times with a 300 Win Mag and it still ran 50 yards. In my snub nose I use a 158 grain full metal jacket load that is not plus P and states a velocity of 850 fps. Round nose will out penetrate semi wad cutters, everything being equal. For those about to are about to reply about the extra shock of swc's compared to round nose, there is no shock effect when shooting bears.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: