View Single Post

Old 04-27-2016, 08:56 PM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Re posting on the loose barrel issue. I have taken my SW22 victory out after applying nail polish to the threads on the socket cap screw below the barrel. I shot about 200 rounds of various ammo, and the barrel did not come loose. I cleaned it up and re applied nail polish to the threads. I used a folding hex key set in stead of the supplied allen, and re loosened and re tightened to get a feel on how much pressure to apply and not over do it. I had previously said that I was not going to use nothing but the supplied allen, since I am mechanical and over 20 years experience using various allen wrenches I knew my limits on tightening things up. I called Smith & Wesson again on this matter and again was told to use a little blue or green loctite[ not the red leave it off]. I have come to the conclusion that the loctite is the best way to go. I know that the screw threads will have to be cleaned from time to time. I do not like the nail polish and S&W does not have a fix for this. I will repeat on the best way to go is for me only, other shooters will have to decide which method they want to use. I will say this if you tighten the screw too much you might not break it loose cause the threads are dry and there will be a popping sound or snap, with the loctite you snug down and learn to tighten just enough. Hopes this helps someone Spongy.
The Following User Likes This Post: