View Single Post

Old 04-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Liked 462 Times in 259 Posts

An old thread on arfcom came back around (the search function over there is terrible or I'd include a link) and I though of this thread. The member was a robbery victim where there was no chance to chamber a round, as it was both the victim and the perp took hits. The member left his gun at the office and he almost didn't bother going back to get it; fortunately he did - if not he may not be alive today. The member was carrying a 1911 and as has happened before, the other shooter - the perp - focused on his gun (and just like an instinctive archery shooter where the arrow goes where you are looking) he took a glancing hit to his gun hand. He got off 2 shots and then it wouldn't fire, he thought he had a jam; as it turns out the hand hit - while not enough to totally disable it caused enough of a problem the grip safety was now engaged. Anyways the perp had a 6 shot revolver and when he realized he ran it dry he fled. The member was treated for multiple gunshot wounds and the perp was picked up later. None of the the hits were lethal to either person and the perp got 75 years. Several lesson here to consider I think:
1) Not carrying a gun ready go could be a mistake you will not get to correct it for the next time. I agree with the post that if you aren't comfortable carrying one chambered then you either need a different gun or you should not be carrying until you can get your head on straight.
2) Maybe grip safeties aren't such a good idea.
3) Always carry.
4) Just because you and/or the bad guy are hit doesn't mean things are now over.
5) Just because you have a big handgun that doesn't mean you have a death ray
6) Keep fighting
7) If the perp hadn't run dry would the arfcom member still be alive? More rounds sometimes make a difference.

It is a good read but describing the whole incident would be far too long in an already long post and not sure I would get all the details right.

Last edited by DD357; 04-29-2016 at 08:28 AM.