View Single Post

Old 05-01-2016, 06:12 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&WIowegan View Post
I own one of these bought a month ago. When I disassembled for initial cleaning, my hex screw was so tight I had to use an extension to the allen wrench to turn the screw. There is a thread on this forum that discusses ideas on how to deal with loosening. Locktite is one idea; another is a torque wrench; one poster also says oil on the screw enables a tighter hold.

These are great pistols, especially at the current street price. I have lots of Rugers which are good but difficult to assemble after takedown.
Hi All...I received my new SW22 (Threaded Barrel) yesterday. I have read a lot about screws backing out and loose take-down screws. I am having the same problem that Iowegan had but maybe worse. My take-down screw is in so tight that it won't come out and I afraid of rounding the hex out if it now. The allen key that came with the gun bent from the force I out on it. Then I got a 6" long 1/8" allen key from my shop and it wouldn't budge. Then I put a 1/8" allen socket on a 1/4" drive socket wrench and it still won't move...then I stopped before I end up stripping the hex head. I think someone at the factory must have used red loctite with some crazy glue for good measure, or it got cross-threaded really bad at the factory. The only thing I know for sure is that it does not want to break loose. I could apply some heat but I don't know if that will affect anything badly. I'll be on the phone with S&W tomorrow morning.
The Following User Likes This Post: