View Single Post

Old 05-04-2016, 08:13 AM

Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts

[quote=Granite Stater;139073920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergntmac View Post
I am a retired career LEO who recently moved into MA from the Midwest. Soon after my arrival, I brought my two service guns (Mods 66 and 60) to my new local PD for registration, as had been required at my former residence. I was told by the Chief that firearms registration was not required, but I should apply for a "License To Carry" (LTC). Since I held permission to carry by the LEOSA Act, I asked why I needed a MA LTC. he replied "the Feds don't live in my town, but you do".

The MA AG didn't like FEDS (ie Leosa) telling them what to do about carrying on the badge so MA created a CMR which regulates issuing LEOSA cards to retired Officers. So if you retire from the Springfield MA PD your firearm instructor cannot qualify you yearly for LEOSA unless he gets licensed from the State Police and as a part of the CMR you must have an LTC to get a LEOSA card, plus a yearly 3 hour class and qualify. So MA did an end run around LEOSA by requiring an LTC to get a LEOSA card and yearly qual to carry under LEOSA. Also MA general law states that active duty Police can only carry their service weapon on the badge, no other firearm allowed. Adding insult to injury if you retire and move out of State you cannot be qualified from your old PD because you must have a "Resident" LTC, non resident LTC holders cannot get a LEOSA card.
This clears a lot up. There is so much hidden BS in MA. I have a large capacity permit that is only good for anything pre 1994....