View Single Post

Old 05-08-2016, 08:51 AM

Liked 3,535 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
In general I am not very fond of these. Maybe I am alone here, but I have always been fearful that in the heat of the moment I'd fumble the combo or the finger print reader would malfunction and I would not be able to arm myself.

If you are using one of these to keep kids out I understand. When my kids were too young to understand about firearms I would hide my carry gun in a place that they could never find. I mean never - but yet still rapidly attainable by me. I still use that place from time to time so I can not say how I do this here, but I would bet most of you could come up with something similar if you tried.

I am not saying they are wrong for gun owners who have young kids or a full house, but it was just an uneasy feeling for ME. Better methods are attainable if you really put your mind to it!
I agree with the Chief. If it's electronic, it will fail at the most inopportune moment. I have problems with touch screens recognizing my fingers. Plenty of reports online of the Hornady box unlocking, but failing to open and the owners sitting there listening to the internals grinding away. The have been plenty of threads on this forum about failures of gun safes with electronic locks.

If you feel the need for a lock box, buy one that is mechanical.