View Single Post

Old 05-12-2016, 11:04 AM

Liked 5,549 Times in 1,153 Posts
Default My 2nd M1 Garand

Well, I was warned that I couldn't stop at one and how true that is. I recently posted a picture of my first Garand, a March 1945 SA Garand mixmaster with a GI sniper stock. Purchased it from a local long time collector, who is a wealth of knowledge on Garands and a super guy to get to know. When I was about to leave with my first one he showed me his only all original that came from a room full of crates around 2009 at the CMP Collectors convention. They let the members open all the crates and pick which ones they wanted.He picked it out and the CMP rated it as a Service rifle because it appeared to have a replacement windage knob. A little while latter the CMP was going through what didn't sell at that time and found out that a lot of the mid 50's SA Garands had the same DRC/IHC windage knob and posted a article showing the numbers in the GCA Journal in the Fall of 2010. So it appeared that this one is all original and should have been rated a Collector instead. Over the next week I couldn't stop thinking about this one and after a sell of another gun I headed back to get it. I really thought I would go with another brand but couldn't put this one down. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse so it went home with me. Here's a few photos along with the first one. The latest is a June 1955 date.