View Single Post

Old 05-12-2016, 03:21 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 427 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
Howdy from Texas, LA retirees.

Couple of questions.

Were you all taught to carry the SW 45s (3rd gen) in a certain way?

decocked and blocked (meaning decocker lever down)
decocked and ready to go

waistband carry, holsters, fanny packs?

what was your duty ammo and was it effective through auto windshields?

What was the reason for the switch to Glocks? entire dept switch?

The same goes for 1911s, you start cutting barrel length and shortening springs, reliability can be reduced and in a major police operation....you want the odds in your favor.

thanks in advance
When I worked for S&W, they generally considered the "manual safety" a decocking lever and not meant to be carried in the "safe"/down position. LA County was one of the few agencies I'm aware of that mandated Berettas and Smiths to be carried with the decocker in the down position. S&W answered that issue with some folks when they came out with the spring loaded decocking lever, available as an option for any LE agency that wanted it. A slide mounted decocker/safety is not conducive to getting a pistol into action quickly if carried that way. It's backwards and can be unmanageable for some folks.(small hands). One of the things that made the 4506 and it's full size variants so reliable was slide weight. Plenty of mass in both directions made the slide hard to stop. Plus the fact, feed angle was excellent. John and Bob are right on about that stuff. LAPD armorers are some of the best I've ever seen. When you reduce slide weight, you have to make it up with spring rate. That has a tendency to make a pistol more ammo sensitive and generally more prone to stoppages.

"Taj" M.A. Hall
The Following 4 Users Like Post: