View Single Post

Old 05-13-2016, 07:48 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,202 Times in 4,576 Posts

I hate to do this, this thread is so much fun, and I always enjoy cop stories, but, to be fair, for Texans reading this:

Quote:
Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:

(A) blackjack;

(B) nightstick;

(C) mace;

(D) tomahawk.
That is followed by this:

Quote:
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
That's it, in pertinent part. The handgun rules are a whole different subject but I assure you that carrying a sap or a blackjack, well, IF I DID IT, would be a crime. Badges change things, that's for sure, but I don't have one of those.

When my twin and I were very young and lived far away from the Great State of Texas our dad gave us professional, US issue nightsticks. Where he got them I have no idea. Why he gave them to little boys I have no idea nor do I know if they were lawful for us to have at the time or at anytime.

At any rate, some time thereafter his business partner wanted them so we gave them up with a promise of replacement. They were very nice looking - the wood was "blonde" in color. Some time after that Dad sure enough replaced them with mahogany colored night sticks that were otherwise exactly the same, right down to the "US" on the butt-cap (it's all one piece but that's the only term I can think of for that spot).

I still have mine and I'm very proud of it; about 25 years ago I acquired a professional leather "thong" for it, had it tied on exactly as the police always did, and no, I never did learn to twirl it, but it hangs on my bed post to this very day. If I run out of ammunition I can still be VERY effective!

COPS, SAPS, BLACKJACKS, NIGHTSTICKS. Fun thread; thanks, y'all!

Oh, I have a 4 battery Maglite nearby, too.
The Following User Likes This Post: