View Single Post

Old 05-17-2016, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Suggestions Please - Rust inside barrel of new 460 XVR PC

Hi, I bought a new 3.5" .460 XVR PC revolver on Sunday. When I got home I cleaned it and noticed inside the barrel from the front to the back is a reddish brown color. The reddish color is basically striped along the length of the barrel. I searched the net and found some mention of a possible manufacturing method the performance center was using that caused a reddish color in their barrels, but in most cases users thought it was rust.

I used Hoppes, Break Free and JB's to try and clean it. Still there. Used a copper brush and tight fitting pads. The barrel is also not shiny. Most of my barrels are shiny to glossy. This one is rather dull in the places there is not reddish color.

I emailed S&W and they said, can't tell from the pic. Try cleaning it. That wasn't the response I was hoping for since, this is an expensive new revolver and a performance center version at that.

It was in the case at Cabelas. Based on the inspection tag, it arrived at the store on April 14, 2016. Per S&W, it was manufactured in January 2015. I assume they make batches of these once a year or so.

I don't see any pitting. Should I shoot it, and maybe eventually send it in and get the barrel replaced? Send it in now and ask for a new barrel? Has anyone seen this before on a new revolver?

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (38.1 KB, 164 views)