View Single Post

Old 05-25-2016, 12:20 AM

Liked 51 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nothing View Post
Galloway insists this is a problem with SD40VE, that it happens with stock plastic rods too. He even mentions that Glock resolved this problem by adding a second locking block pin in the Gen2. I agree that it's a poor design that puts a tremendous amount of force on a small piece of plastic.

I'd imagine S&W is well aware of this problem, but are they doing anything about it? I'm not convinced.
After analyzing the problem based on the input from others in this thread, I have to strongly disagree with Galloway's assertions.

If you take the guide rod and barrel out of the slide, and put the front of the slide (the lip that hangs down below the muzzle, where the guide rod rests) against the "buttress" in the frame, you can see exactly where the slide has to reach in order to "hard stop."

When you put the factory spring and guide rod into the slide and pull the slide back, the slide reaches exactly that same point on the frame.

When you put the Galloway spring and guide rod into the slide and pull the slide back, the slide stops before reaching that "buttress."

As Steve912 said, that alone is confirmation that the problem lies with the Galloway spring.

That conclusion is further supported by the measurements of the compressed springs taken by 40s&w and S&W Rover. 40s&w's Glock 19 spring measured .905.5 inches when fully compressed, which I'm willing to bet is the same as the factory spring. Meanwhile, S&W Rover's Galloway spring measured .975 inches when fully compressed.

The proof is in the data.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: