View Single Post

Old 05-27-2016, 11:07 PM

Liked 333 Times in 170 Posts

Nearly two generations ago I did several red ramp replacements with a technique remarkably like this one, with a few differences. The police-friends (uniformed, no detectives) all carried S&W M-28s, mostly 6-inch, a few with 4-inch barrels. Upon their request for a self-luminescent front sight, my solution was to visit a friend of my parents who was a watchmaker. He furnished a small can of wax that contained a white substance that is used on watch dials to cause them to glow in the dark for several hours. He recommend white rather than green because it retained luminescence longer.

I placed the open can of wax on my electric stove's burner. The wax flamed and burned away, leaving a white powder. From that point our procedures are similar. I used clear epoxy as the binder. I experimented to identify the ratio of powder to binder and have a durable insert. I also used a tiny drill to use as a combination anchor plus receptacle for yet more powder-binder.

My durability test was to whack my insert testing junker barrel randomly with a rawhide mallet 6 times. I figured if the insert stayed in place and didn't shatter, it would handle the job.
The insert retained its self-luminescence longer than the shifts they worked.

In terms of how well it worked, two shooting incidents were concluded successfully, although one was precipitated by one friend being shot in the thigh. Interestingly, he was unaware that had been shot until the "duel" was over. He happened to look at his leg while holstering his revolver, saw the wound, and his leg collapsed.

Hope this helps.