View Single Post

Old 05-28-2016, 04:41 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,764 Times in 684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
Nearly two generations ago I did several red ramp replacements with a technique remarkably like this one, with a few differences. The police-friends (uniformed, no detectives) all carried S&W M-28s, mostly 6-inch, a few with 4-inch barrels. Upon their request for a self-luminescent front sight, my solution was to visit a friend of my parents who was a watchmaker. He furnished a small can of wax that contained a white substance that is used on watch dials to cause them to glow in the dark for several hours. He recommend white rather than green because it retained luminescence longer.

I did buy some glow in the dark fluorescent yellow powdered pigment off of Amazon and experimented with it in the epoxy and casting resins. Maybe it was the type of powdered pigment, but it didnt glow in the dark quite as well as I had hoped, and it seemed to affect the color brightness in the daylight. Maybe I didnt use enough.
Once I got the Brownells kit, I was so happy with the daytime brightness of it that I never experimented with using the glow in the dark pigment. If I did my shooting at night I might reconsider. But its a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by GunarSailors; 05-28-2016 at 04:44 AM.