Thread: Rimfire Rifles
View Single Post

Old 05-28-2016, 10:24 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,372 Times in 5,476 Posts

My .22 rimfire rifles include:

1. Savage-Anschutz Model 164 bolt action sporter (about 1974) with an old Weaver 3X post & crosshair. Regularly shoots any ammo (including promo cheapies) into 1" at 50 yards.

2. Marlin 39A, about 1970 vintage. Will do just about anything I might ask of a .22 rifle.

3. Winchester Low Wall "Winder" musket, about 1890's vintage, .22 Short single-shot. A bit large and heavy to carry in the woods, but easily capable of postage-stamp size groups at any reasonable range. Keeps me constantly hunting for .22 Short ammo, which can be hard to find anymore.

4. Winchester Model 62-A, made in 1940. The classic slide-action take-down .22 rifle. Light weight, easy to carry, and will shoot the eyes out of rabbits as far as my old grampa eyes can see to focus.

I enjoy all of these, and they make great training tools for the grandkids to learn with. Same grandkids have already made off with a couple of Ruger 10-22's and several single shot bolt-actions by Winchester and Remington that I picked up over the years.

If I had to pick just one it would have to be the Winchester 62-A. Simple, functional, light weight, easy to carry, and deadly accurate at rimfire ranges. Not easy to find in top condition anymore, and pricey when found, but well worth it to me.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: