Thread: Rimfire Rifles
View Single Post

Old 05-29-2016, 10:05 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,410 Times in 3,290 Posts

Most shooters started with a 22 rifle and I think everyone should own at a least a dozen. Even old and cheap 22s shoot great...when you can find ammo.

My first gun was a Remington 581 purchased new in 1968 for $49.95. It was stolen with all my other guns in 1985. I found another 581 at an estate sale. Owner was a gunsmith and he had tinkered with it some. Cut the barrel to 20", added an action screw, etc. I added a new stock that I inletted myself.

I searched for years for a 22 Martini at a price I could pay. Got this one for $165 off Gunbroker. Refinished the wood.

Passed on a BRNO #1 I saw at a show about 10 years ago. Seriously kicked myself ever since. A while back I bagged this one. Not the Deluxe Model I passed on, but I still like it. A previous owner had painted the stock black. I think it looks much better after I refinished the wood. I hate refinishing stocks but it seems I always wind up doing it.

I bought this at a police auction in 1987 for $11.50. Terrible shape. All metal was corroded and wood was hideous. Worse, some dolt had drilled out the firing pin and sunk a big machine screw in the hole to make it into a toy for his grand kid. I polished the metal and blued it at home. Stripped and refinished the wood (there I went again) and replaced the missing sights. After looking for 15 years I found a gun show dealer who had the breech block to make it function once again. Was never so happy to pay $5 in my life. Total investment is about $23 in cash and many hours of labor.

I don't have a photo but last year I satisfied another itch and bought a Mannlicher stocked Ruger 10/22.