Thread: Rimfire Rifles
View Single Post

Old 06-01-2016, 07:50 PM

Liked 12,670 Times in 3,374 Posts

I'm partial to several rimfires;

I like the CZ 453 American (left)for it's great lines and superb accuracy, as well as the Miroku made Winchester/browning Model 52B (right) and C "re-issue' sporters. The CZ 453 is a consistent 1" at 100 yard rifle on a calm day with SK match, and the Model 52B is no slouch either averaging about 1.25" under the same conditions. This one also has very nice wood:

This is my other Model 52B 're-issue'. It's produced a large number of very impressive 100 yard groups, but 1/2 MOA groups are one end of the distribution as it will produce an equal number of 1.5" groups. In other words, it is just as accurate on average as my other Model 52, but less consistent. And the wood is typical plain wood "Big W" was known for, but it is still very nicely finished. These were arguably the best factory production sporters ever made - and they made about 10,000 of them.

This is my other CZ, a CZ 453 Varmint. It's a bit like my other Model 52, it's capable of some superb groups but is less consistent and will mix in some 1.5" groups with the 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I think my two CZs span the normal range of CZ accuracy and consistency- but they are good enough that even the bad ones are quite accurate by .22LR standards at 100 yards. This one also won the wood lottery as CZ wood is usually rather plain.

The Remington 541S is a nice sporter as well from the same era as the re-issue sporters, although the finish isn't quite as nice and it isn't as accurate - running around 1.75-2.0" at 100 yards. But to be fair, mine is one of the less accurate 541Ss out there:

Everyone should have a Ruger 10/22 - but one of the older walnut stocked aluminum trigger assembly models - the quality was so much better. This is a 1976 liberty marked 10/22

I'm also a fan of the 9422. Below is a 20" XTR from 1978 it's one of the early XTRs before they switched to checkered wood, along with a 2004 9422 Trapper - after the XTRs were gone, and when they checkered them all.

This is my low end .22LR rifle - a Zastava CZ99 Precision. It has a wonderfully heavy receiver and has great accuracy potential. The metal is very nicely finished but the factory stocks leave a bit to be desired as the finish is flat and the checkering is only partially cut. However Remington imported them as the "Model 5",a long the side the Remington 798 (Zastava Model 70) and Remington 799 (Zastava Model 85). The Remington stocks are nicely made laminate stocks and until recently you could find them new old stock. In fact, Stocky's bought out the Remington inventory of 798 and 799 stocks, and got a few Model 5 stocks in the mix without knowing it. They sent me Model 5 stock by mistake and told me to keep it after they sent me the 799 stock I'd ordered (great folks over there). So...I went and bought a CZ99 Precision for $200 to put the stock to good use.

Accuracy wise it is a solid 2" rifle at 100 yards - not stellar accuracy by the CZ 453 standard above but still great .22LR sporter accuracy, and not bad at all for a nice looking $200 rifle.

The Following 15 Users Like Post: