View Single Post

Old 06-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Liked 12,553 Times in 3,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford57 View Post
Depending on the day:

DAO semi with no safety - chamber loaded.
DA/SA semi with safety - chamber loaded, safety off
DAO, internal hammer revolver, no safety - chamber loaded

Do you see the pattern? Each of these was designed to be carried safely with the chamber loaded. Each uses the same procedure for a first shot: a long, relatively heavy but smooth trigger pull. Each has one or more properly fitting holsters.

With SA autos and older pattern SA revolvers this is a very relevant question. I could play devil's advocate, stir the pot and suggest it may be a relevant question for those who carry striker-fired autos also (but I won't). With modern DA/SA and DAO autos and DA or DAO revolvers I can't think of a good reason for an empty chamber under normal circumstances.
this mirrors my thoughts - and the poll results will be misleading as I suspect for the semi auto pistols it will come down to type.

For example:

1. When I carry a 1911 or Hi Power (single action semi-auto pistols with a manual thumb safety) I carry them in Condition 1 (cocked and locked with a loaded chamber).

2. When I carry a CZ 75 (a DA/SA pistol with a manual safety), I carry it hammer down, in DA mode, with the safety off, with a loaded chamber - and I do that because the position of the safety makes it difficult to switch off as the gun comes into your line of sight.

3. When I carry a Walther PP or PPK/S (DA pistols with a safety/decocker) I carry it de-cocked, with a loaded chamber, and with the safety off.

4. When I carry a DA revolver, I carry it with the hammer down on a loaded cylinder - but all of them incorporate some form of hammer block to keep them "drop safe".

The common thread is that this is how all of them were designed to be carried safely yet brought into action quickly.

I also carry them all in holsters that fully protect the trigger.
The Following User Likes This Post: