View Single Post

Old 06-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Liked 301 Times in 210 Posts
Default Collapsed length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
The pistols in hand to measure the slide stop to locking block will be what we need to see as well as slide thickness and pocket depth. This will tell me what the models are doing and what SN range it may be in.

The rods are a direct drop in, they may be over all longer than some of the rods slightly, about .040, there are two factory lengths, but the working length is the same as stock and rod length doesn't matter unless it is to short. Our shop gun has 1000s of rounds through it with no issues. 22lb and all.

As for preload increases I will have to ask the spring maker, it is minor as the changes are low.

Ultimately the u design they use on these is terrible, the 40 beats it to death. What I don't get is considering the number of these out in service with crazy high round counts and zero issues, yet here are a few with issues. I've seen the factory parts break the u out and bend the tab, plastic guiderod and all so they do fail stock but I want to know if there is a change in the frame address it now.
-Eric
The key evidence I see is that folks have posted that the slide travel is 1/16" less, at least on some samples, when some aftermarket assemblies are substituted for a factory unit. That aligns precisely with the damage reported by some owners.

As far as preload is concerned, I humbly suggest it is not a spring manufacturer issue, but is an issue for the assembly manufacturer. It can be measured with an appropriate spring scale by measuring the force necessary to start moving the slide rearward from battery. I believe that preload should be considered along with spring rate, but that notion still hasn't gained any traction on this forum.

I can't address any bashing on the U section in the frame which is (supposed to be) the ultimate slide stop. I don't see anything unusual on my SD9VE and have never fired nor field-stripped a 40.

I can make accurate length/distance measurements on my SD9VE but cannot do any force testing. If anyone needs measurements on a stock gun I can make and report them.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: