View Single Post

Old 06-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Liked 17,176 Times in 5,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerman View Post
Yes, I know which way to turn a screw. I put 200 rounds through the gun. I soaked it overnight in WD-40. I heated it as hot as I'm comfortable doing. I've broken 2 allen wrenches. And yes, I have a T handle wrench. I've had to regrind the tip 3 times due to it rounding off. I've removed a lot of screws from guns over the years that were staked, or had red thread locker on them. I've NEVER had one like this. Reading threads, it appears S&W has gone from using a screw that comes out by itself, to one that won't come out....ever. Which kind of defeats one of the main selling points of the gun....easy takedown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganScott View Post
"L" shaped Allen wrenches are notoriously soft. I use the bits from Brownell's for the smaller screws and "T" handle wrenches from an old Craftsman set for the bigger ones. Never stripped out a screw or rounded a wrench. Good tools won't fail you.
If you've reground the end of the wrench three times, it wasn't hard enough to begin with, and the heat from grinding it has probably softened it even more.