View Single Post

Old 06-19-2016, 01:30 PM

Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts

Yes, S&W, screwed up (pun), but there is a way to break that screw loose the first time with one try. Use what is commonly sold as a "impact screwdriver". It is a tool that takes a 3/8" drive socket. When hit on its end with a hammer it puts a torque force into the socket head screw either to loosen or to tighten. Purchase the very best quality allen wrench drive socket you can find that fits that screw socket properly. Then prepare a "V" bed of plastic or lead for the handgun's barrel to lay in securely with the butt upwards. Then heat the socket head screw with a soldering iron until too hot to touch. Then place the allen drive socket in the screw held by the impact driver. Make sure it is set to 'unscrew' and not screw in tighter. Make sure you are holding the impact driver perfectly in alignment with the socket head screw. Take up all the slack in the driver system with your support hand. Then hit the impact driver with a hammer with a fair rap. If it did not break loose, hit it again with a little harder rap. If it did not break loose, reheat, and hit it again.

The handgun must be bedded securely on a firm surface with no 'give'. You might want the help of another person to hold the grip of the handgun during this effort. The bedding "V" can be made of lead, hardwood, delrin, etc., but nothing that is harder than the steel of the barrel.........

After a successful removal, get a new screw from S&W. Torque it back in with a "T" handle allen wrench. .......

IMHO, the SW Victory 22LR is an outstanding handgun with out of the box accuracy better than 99% of us can hold. I think that when the users have gotten past this 'barrel retaining socket head screw ' removal problem, they will find this handgun becoming their favorite handgun.

I really, no really, like mine. ............
The Following 5 Users Like Post: