View Single Post

Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Liked 84 Times in 51 Posts

I'd lose wager double or nothing and Murphy's Law would rear his ugly head.

The second time around the BB hardcast round at a couple of feet penetrated 1.5" in the seasoned oak slab. I chunked the 2x8 and layed the slab on the ground. Ahead of the S&B 32 S&W Long 100 Gn LRN by almost the full length of the 32 ACP boolit. [in the first comparison after blowing through the solid, yet age compromised 2x8 the entire 32ACP projectile penetrated ahead of the S&B 32L]

The S&B 100gn split the wood to the left and up to the end which was around 3". Also, directly above and below the projectile hole were mini splits where the grain gave way. The nose ended up on a 30* angle and the body ovals along the grain that gave way. As the boolit split the grain the soft lead pushing against the wood sought relief vertically within the newly offered real estate.

When I shot the BB 32ACP 75gn I moved down and over a couple of inches. It maintains its shape creates no splits.

The S&B soft lead strikes the wood 90* to grain and starts to expand. This expansion makes for a larger hole and assists in splitting the wood by focusing the energy/momentum on a larger area instead of pushing through as the .32 hardcast which maintained original diameter.

I want the penetration, I want to blow through zippers/leather/denim/bone/Gideon's Bible/medallion/quarter dollar/Susan B. Anthony/ Sacagawea whatever preferably out the other side.

Now, if I could just talk S&W into manufacturing one w/5.5" barrel & tight B/C gap in a seven rnd cylinder.

Last edited by Nicksterdemus; 06-20-2016 at 10:55 AM.