Thread: 1st Duty Weapon
View Single Post

Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 AM
US Veteran

Liked 9,263 Times in 2,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.b View Post
I know, you were saving the best for last!!! That's it. Those were the latest thing when I started, all the guys were bragging that they didn't have to use the "call boxes" any more when they walked the beat!!! These things were like magic!! Yes, I was still issued a key that fit the few remaining "call boxes", and was shown how to use it, cause some of the old timers didn't trust these new fangled portable radios. I don't think that I ever actuall used a call box in a real life situation though. But somewhere I still have my key, no one ever took it back, and I kept it as a keepsake. If I can find it, I'll post a picture of it. Some of you guys might be old enough to remember them.

Best Regards, Les
We had three call boxes located in the downtown area, one on the east end, one on the west end, and one located near the middle. If the Dept. wanted to get a hold of a beat cop, they would flip a switch and three red lights would light up, letting the beat man know to call in. I walked the beat for about 2 1/2 years and didn't like it, but after I was put in a squad car, I then regretted getting taken off the beat.

I could hide at night, go to the central fire station to take a short nap after all the bars closed up, had plenty of places to stay warm and dry in inclement weather (you learned quickly which doors could be jimmied open), and didn't get too many calls while on the beat, except for bar fights or drunk/disorderly persons walking around. I could stop for coffee or food at the all night restaurant, and the owners treated us really nice, as patrons usually behaved themselves when we were in the restaurant. On afternoons and mids there were usually two beat cops working downtown, one on the east end and one on the west end.

My 1st duty on mids was to check all businesses to make sure doors were locked, and I made a 2nd check prior to getting off work in the morning. Walking the beat helped me stay in shape too.

I was married, but soon learned that if the beat cop was single or willing, he could have rendezvous's with women who lived or worked downtown. I behaved myself.

One of the downtown movie theaters, that was still open, was owned buy a husband/wife team. He ran the projector and she did the other stuff, including taking care of the beat cop, if he was so inclined.

Last edited by bgrafsr; 06-29-2016 at 09:36 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: