View Single Post

Old 06-30-2016, 02:48 AM

Liked 167 Times in 93 Posts
Default Screw

Hello,
I just purchased my Victory model, and will have it this weekend.
I really do understand why there is so much trouble. Working in an industry where you use all types and sizes of threaded fasteners, you learn where the problems come from.
This particular problem exists because S&W Decided to use a #12-24 Low Head SHCS. (Socket Head Cap Screw).
This particular screw requires a smaller hex wrench than what would be used if it were the standard head height.
The Low head uses a 1/8 wrench. To give you an idea This wrench is normally used on a #6-32 SHCS. Note I did not say Low head.
To apply sufficient torque to the 12-24. with a much smaller wrench has many disadvantages, one is stripping out the hex. They don't put the hex detail in the head of the screw as deep, there is less total area to help break things loose. This was a horrible design purely due to the use of a Low head screw and an inadequate wrench to do the work with.
You can use a split washer, you can use a rubber O Ring, and it will work just fine. However going to a standard screw, with the 5/32 wrench will give you the desired results. Adequate tightening and no issues breaking it loose.
The 5/32 wrench is typically used on the 10-32 and 10-24 SHCS.
The # 12 screw is not commonly used, and the next size wrench is 3/16, which is what you would use on a 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 cap screw.

Anytime we use Flat head, or Low head, Or button head screws, the smaller wrench is used, Were not talking one size smaller, we are talking 2 sizes smaller. From 1/8 to 5/32 you have 9/64 right in between, which is used on the 8/32 SHCS. Many times we end up taking a center punch and driving the flat head out, or drill the head out.
These screws lock in place and stripping the hex out or twisting the wrench into a pretzel is common. So this Victory issue with the screw is really quite simple, Use the proper screw type with the proper wrench size.
I'm willing to bet there would be no problems here.
The Following User Likes This Post: