View Single Post

Old 07-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Liked 609 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD View Post
Not to answer for my friend but I am also involved with this ongoing project. There are many reasons to replicate factory or designer loads. Let's start with price, BBs FBI Load costs $28.79 + shipping for 20 rounds. Handloading costs using the same RimRock bullet, $8.65 for 50 rounds.

Next comes the fun, reloaders like to experiment and it's satisfying when you succeed.

IMO, because of the cost it's difficult to practice with your carry ammo and practice is important. If you can develop a replica load for your carry ammo you can practice without breaking the bank and save the store bought ammo for carry.

There is more but those are the three that I think if first.
All good points.

I tend to practice w/ light load, 158 LSWC's, as they are accurate - & very cost effective. I could be off base, but my thought is, that reflexes (ingrained through light load training) will take over w/ SD loads - should the need ever arise.

That said, I've been considering placing an order for 300 - 500 Rimrock LSWC-HP/GC's - just because. A bit of full power load training couldn't hurt, right?

My EDC revolvers (M340, M640-1, & M65-3) are all .357 chambered, & while I know that a lot of guys load primarily .38spl brass for training, I prefer magnum brass.

Understand that the subject matter here is duplicating the .38spl FBI load, been wondering if anyone here has done any work in the 950 - 1050fps range, w/ this bullet - in magnum brass.

It also occurs, that "if" the soft / gas checked Rimrock bullet will stand up to moderate level, .357 magnum pressures - & maintain accuracy, it might make an "interesting" load, for use in 2.5" - 4" L / N frames, as well.

Thoughts?