View Single Post

Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 PM

Liked 1,961 Times in 664 Posts

This sounds like great news for S&W. I have a very different opinion than most of you. I love USA made knives and will always gear toward buying something stamped USA over anything made in China. But honestly Schrade was never a top dollar brand to begin with. Back when they were made here they were considered budget knives compared to the Buck and Puma hunting knifes they competed with. I really do think that the modern day Schrade's are much better quality and have better fit/finish than ones I have seen from 20-30 years ago. They are also made of better steels and scale materials.

I understand some are still upset about how they make them but in order for Taylor to have kept those brands alive (Henry, Schrade, Old Timer) they had to make that transition. A lot of other manufacturers have done the same to stay in business and even some of the older guys like A.G. Russell have had to contract work overseas.

These knives are still designed here though–and to me that's partly important because some of my favorite Schrade knives have all been from their current lineup (which didn't even exist 20-30 years ago). I personally have enjoyed using and owning the Schrade SCHF51, and the SCHF42. They are excellent bushcraft knives. I'm still wanting to get my hands on an SCHF43 (Jessica-X) at some point. Check out their offerings if you haven't seen what they've been up to the last couple of years. Might surprise some of ya'll.