Thread: My Baby AR
View Single Post

Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity.45 View Post
Posted in many threads are similar stories about stovepipes and the cure: replace the stock extractor with the Volquartsen extractor. Tends to cure the problem. Why S&W continues to produce rifles with this well-known problem.

Sent telepathically
It is odd that S&W doesn't fix a known issue.

I have considered the Volquartesen extractor, but I am going to hold off at least for a little while to see how my rifle "breaks in". And, of course, I don't want to do anything to void a warranty in case I need it to fix my ejection or other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
I suggest not changing charging handles or any other parts until you fix the issues you are having. If you make one change at a time, it is easier to solve the problem. I might get one failure, of any sort, every 10 magazines or so. Most deal with the nature of the rimfire round itself not always wanting to go bang. My go to ammo is CCI standard velocity or Norma Tac-22.

As stated, I'd start with changing out the extractor, assuming you haven't bent the ejector by messing with it or snagging it while cleaning. I put a straw over mine before running the bore snake down the barrel.

Also, make sure you are loading your magazines properly so that the rounds stagger. My technique is to pull down on the load assist button after each round and then let it snap back. I strongly suggest you browse thru the past discussions, especially ones dealing with failures & proper cleaning. Lots of good info here.
I didn't think the charging handle would affect ejection, but it's a valid point not to change it.

I didn't do anything to bend the ejector. I used a brass brush and patches on an Otis pull cord not something like a bore snake. I do really like your straw idea though and will be borrowing it for the future cleanings.

It seems CCI ammo is very popular so I should try that.

I load my magazines using the same method that you do and ensure they are staggered. Good point. I did not know this at first. I only saw it after doing research after the issues during my first shooting session.